In 1927, The National Society Daughters of the American Revolution Ocala Chapter (DAR) purchased a small parcel of land off Fort King Street which once served as the cemetery for the nearby Fort King during the Seminole Wars. In 1933, the DAR dedicated a small monument at the site to preserve the history of Fort King. Thus began the acquisitions that would eventually lead to the preservation of the Fort King Site.
Fast forward 77 years…
On February 24, 2004, United States Secretary of the Interior, Gale Norton, designated the Fort King National Historic Landmark which includes 37 acres jointly owned by the City of Ocala and Marion County. On May 31, 2014, the Fort King National Historic Landmark was officially opened to the public.
On October 7, 2014, the City of Ocala, Marion County and the DAR entered into a 99 year lease to incorporate the DAR site into the National Historic Landmark site. This three party agreement recognizes and respects the DAR’s long standing commitment to the preservation of Fort King and its significance to our local, state and national heritage.
The City of Ocala and Marion County wish to thank the Fort King Heritage Association for recognizing the importance of incorporating this piece of property into the Fort King NHL boundary and for their efforts in facilitating the three party agreement.